I meant to write posts and reviews, but the time got away from me. Instead, I spent a lot of time in my own head. I’ve been having trouble making the words come. Even now, what I’m typing feels stale and wrong. But I’m going to publish them anyway.
So, this year. It happened. I wasn’t a huge fan of 2018, but I don’t think I’m alone in that. Most of my lack of enthusiasm comes from the fact that I’m suffering from anxiety and depression. One of the good things that came out of this year is that I’m finally really taking that aspect of me seriously thanks to the help of my extraordinary therapist and a truly kind, patient, and understanding medical professional. Baby steps.
But to the matter at hand. Here is everything that happened to me in 2018:
- Went on a work trip/vacation with Neil in Austin, TX.
- Turned 27.
- Watched Digimon Tri in theaters with Neil.
- Enjoyed figure skating during the Winter Olympics.
- Went to DC for work twice.
- Attended a talk by Scott McCloud and had a very pleasant conversation with him.
- Saw some good movies in theaters. Shout out to Black Panther, Eighth Grade, Crazy Rich Asians, Avengers, Love Simon, The Phantom Thread, Annihilation, Shape of Water, Call Me By Your Name, and Into the Spiderverse.
- Game nights, hang outs, coffee, and drinks with all my beautiful friends.
- Canvassed and marched.
- Went to PAX East 2018.
- Tabled at Boston Kids Comic Fest, Somerville Library Comic Con, and MeCAF.
- Started DMing my own DnD campaign with friends.
- Saw some good concerts: The Decemberists, Superorganism, Alvvays, Hellogoodbye.
- Started a new job in community management.
- Had my story published in Dirty Diamonds #9: Being. (Thanks to the editors and shout out to Hailey, without whom it would have been impossible to tell this story.)
- Attended Matt and Elise’s wedding.
- Attended my cousin Ashley’s wedding.
- Helped organize the MICE Fundraiser.
- Read for the Ploughshares Emerging Writer’s Contest.
- Moved to Roslindale.
- Went to Scotland with Neil and attended Tom and Carlie’s wedding.
- Took a cruise with Neil’s family on a 70-ft sailboat.
- Attended Chris and Jackie’s wedding.
- Celebrated six years with Neil, the love of my life.
- Helped plan, organize, and execute a successful MICE 2018.
- Went to see MFM live.
- Spent time with my family. Went to many a dinner.
- Saw Hamilton in Boston.
- Adopted the second love of my live, my little baby boy Franklin. (He’s a cat.)
- Baked a lot of cookies and pie.
- Read over 30 books.
That’s about it. It’s not nothing. I worked really hard. I spent a lot of time with people that I care about. There was a lot of love and laughter in 2018, despite it all. Still, there’s always this heaviness that I carry with me, even through the happier times.
I wish I could say I was feeling optimistic for the new year, but I don’t really feel anything. I just want to read books and figure out a way back into writing. I want a way to feel less like a fraud and more like a normal person. I just want to feel better. That’s what I’m working toward.
Thank you for reading. To those of you in my life, thank you for hanging in there with me.